The Killer Fad: Drinking Your Food

Think about it. The amount of calories ingested with liquid nutrition is astounding. And, it’s new. Good luck finding a cup of OJ 50,000 years ago.

You see, I’m not even really talking about the soda and sugary drinks that are all too often in the media for some proposed tax or regulation. I’m talking about all drinks.

The idea that drinking nutrition, other than breast milk and water, is only really made possible by modern day circumstances. And, in our modern day circumstances, we’ve taken it on in a big way. We’re way beyond fermenting ancient grapes and the tea trade, we’ve got enough liquid food (or food imitations) to create a small ocean and it’s a problem.

Here’s the deal. Liquids, when ingested, have incredibly fast uptake in the system. Naturally, it creates an insulin overlaid to mitigate a massive increase in blood sugar. And, I’ve said this before, but when I see motivated individuals make sacrifices, financially and otherwise, to improve their health by relying on liquid nutrition, green drinks, smoothies, cold pressed this and that, it kills me. Eat kale. Don’t drink kale.

I thought we put this to bed. I thought Robb Wolf put it to bed. I thought the Mayo Clinic put it to bed. I thought the New York times put it to bed.

The next time you are making a beverage decision consider the insulin response. Water, coffee, and tea, for example, don’t illicit an insulin response.. until you add Splenda. Chew your food.

Logan Gelbrich

——————–

Thursday’s Workout:

EMOM 12
4 Snatch Balance
4 Burpee Broad Jumps

AMRAP 6
6 Hang Power Snatch (95/65)
6 Jump Squats