Who Qualified for a Once-in-a-Lifetime Job? Not Many

Years ago, one of the most prolific technology moguls in the world needed a personal trainer. A friend with one degree of separation asked me if I knew someone who fit the bill. What happened next in the hiring process is beside the point, but the main thought that emerged is important. 

Well, this job came up again and when I was tasked with helping this individual find a trainer all the same thoughts came up:

Who is fit for this life changing job? 

Let’s just say there were dozens, arguably hundreds, of candidates in my network who have the training expertise to do this job. The mental experiment begins when you realize that something other than technical knowledge would be the most critical factor for this job. 

It’s the perfect microcosm for the conversation we’re constantly having about technical challenges and adaptive challenges. Many trainers have the training expertise to train one of the world’s richest people, but almost none have become the person who could properly train this individual. 

Humans are so funny around these topics.

Trainers could be the worst kind of human in this way. We’re so obsessed with seeking and prioritizing technical ability. Meanwhile, we suffer most from our lack of adaptation. In many cases, humans will even pursue technical leveling up (aka more letters after your name) specifically to avoid taking a look at who you are.  

We all repeat the maxim that we’re only as strong as our weakest link. If you’re like most people, your weakest link is a lack of evolution (not a lack of information).

For an unforgettable deep dive into the intricacies of adaptive leadership, join us for the Hold the Standard™  Summit – Los Angeles April 6-7.

3/28/24 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
12 Lat Pulldowns
8 Tempo DB Goblet Top-To-Bottom Step Ups (41×1) (ea)
50-Yard KB Farmers Carry

AMRAP 10
10 Front Squats (95/65)
8 Burpees Over-The-Bar

DEUCE Garage GPP

Find a Heavy Load for the following complex:
1 Viper Press
2 Push Press
4 Jerks

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
10 1-Arm Paused DB Row ea.
6 Loaded Ipsilateral Deadbugs ea.