All Models Are Wrong (Part 4 of 4)

Letting go of something that has served us in the part or that we are emotionally attached to is hard. The behavior or belief that we are trying to let go of is wired into us. Sometimes, it Is impossible to completely detach ourselves from it emotionally. 

I don’t think emotional detachment is the key to growth. I think the sting of the emotions involved can be good for us. We do, however, need a degree of separation and objectivity to reflect on our frameworks and beliefs and to see their flaws. 

For the sake of reflection, let’s assume there is something you’re holding onto that is getting in your way. If you can’t immediately think of something, we’ll call this a problem. 

In that case, I want you to reflect on the things in your life that serve you the best… and look for the cracks. 

For me, one example is my drive and a tendency towards workaholism. This has served me incredibly well but has also been fucking me up in some major ways lately. I’m very emotionally attached to this behavior and the standards I hold myself to, AND that is exactly what gets in the way of me recognizing how my own behavior holds me back from the things I want in life. 

But, back to your issue. Looking for cracks in a model you hold does not mean you have to get rid of it entirely. It does mean that you have the self-awareness to become a more complete version of yourself. That could be a really cool thing. 

You only have to give yourself permission to be unfinished.

11/13/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 3 rounds of the following:
10 alt Reverse Lunges

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
12 Heel Elevated DB Goblet Squats
15 DB RDLs
:30 Hanging L-Sit Hold

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
In :60…
Corner Run
Max Push Ups