What’s in a Word

Sometimes, I get a little nerdy about words. There is more nuance to language than anyone could possibly hope to understand and the way that it has developed is really interesting.

Let’s take the word health for example… 

Its etymology lies in an Indo-European word, kailo, which meant,

“Something whole, uninjured, of good omen”

The ‘whole’ part is really interesting to me. More recently, health comes from an Old English word that also referred to the concept of wholeness, not only in the physical sense but in a psychological and spiritual sense as well. 

Wealth and holy have the same root. 

Why do I think this is important? 

Because you’re a WHOLE ass person.

Our health and fitness are defined by much more than any one or several metrics. That means you are much more than your score on the whiteboard today or what the readout on your scale was this morning. Those can be useful metrics… when taken in a broader context with more information. 

We want you to be a whole person. We want the gym to be a very tiny fraction of your wholeness. One that enhances the rest of your life rather than detracts from it. This is what we mean when we talk about our CORE VALUE, lifestyle

Lifestyle is facilitated by the work we do inside the gym, but it breathes outside of training, in the wild.

11/10/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
8 Yates Rows

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:‘
8/8/8 Inverted Row Series
10 1-Arm Floor Presses
50-Yard KB Offset Carry

Complete 2 rounds of the following for time:
6th Street Hill Run
10 DB Curtis P’s (50/30)
20 Ball Slams