That Time I Got Chin Checked by My Boss

Years ago when I was an intern for my mentor, Andy Petranek, I used to complain about my shoulder a lot. Mid workout I’d be the guy doing those random intermittent arm circles. I’d do the grimace face and all the other dramatic things. Everyone had to know I had a bad shoulder. 

I’d injured it during my baseball career and in the beginning of a CrossFit journey, it was often perturbed by handstand push ups, snatches, muscle ups, and all the other shoulder festivities. Then, one day I was walking by Andy’s office when he called out, “Hey, Logan. Come here for a second.”

Basically standing at attention in his doorway I said, “What’s up, AP?” And, his question almost felt like compassion as it came out. “Does your shoulder hurt?” I confirmed and his response hit me like a ton of bricks. 

“What are you gunna do about that?” 

Damn. I was dumbfounded. I thought for a second he was going to offer some consoling words, but it became clear to the both of us that my plan up until that moment was specifically to do nothing and continue to complain about it. 

The body isn’t meant to just be in pain. If you got something, handle it. 

PS – if you need help “handling it” let us help or refer you to someone who can!

9/23/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 Renegade Row
50 Yard Sled Drag
7th St KB Corner Carry

Then, AMRAP 12

40 Double Unders
20 KB Swings (62/44)
10 Burpees

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

Take 10:00 to build to a 1RM Box Jump…