Past, Present, Future: Where Do You Live?

There are 3 of what I like to call mental time zones: Past, Present, and Future. Throughout the day and week and year we drift in and out of all these so called time zones, however, I’ve noticed that a lot of us tend to spend most of our time in 2 out of the 3. We compare and assess our current situation based on Past experiences and we plan and execute based on what we want in the Future. I’m not saying this way of thinking is bad, in fact it’s well within our nature to live our life this way. But what I am saying is that we cannot forget about what is going on in the Present.

Earlier this year I heard an interview with Giannis Antetokounmpo, last year’s MVP and NBA Finals Champion. He was asked about his expectations for the upcoming season and if he felt any pressure to live up to the performance from last season. His answer was perfect:

When you focus on the past, that’s your ego. ‘I did this in the past, I won that in the past’. And when I focus on the future it’s my pride.  ‘Yeah, next game I’ll do this and this and this. I’m going to dominate’. That’s your pride talking. And I try to focus on the moment, in the present. And that’s humility, that’s being humble. That’s not setting any expectations.

He speaks of living in the present because the success from the past and the hopes for the future are unimportant when you just need to make a free throw right… now.

I hear this conversation often when it comes to people’s fitness and training. The classic “I used to lift this much” and “I want to look this way, why is it taking so long?”. Well quite frankly none of that matters when you have to squat a barbell for 5 reps in the moment. We have to surrender to the process of hard work and trust that said work will lead us towards our goals. Worrying about what used to be and what might be will just leave us as a lesser version of ourselves today.

Enjoy the process and love the moment.

12/15/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 KB Front Rack Lateral Roller Lunge (ea)
12 Evil Wheel

Then, EMOM 12

1) 3 Wall Walks + Push-up
2) 16 Alternating DB Snatches(50/35)
3) 15 Jump Squats

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

6-6-6-6
Barbell Bench Press

Then, Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

50′ Waiters Walk – Left
50′ Waiters Walk – Right
12 DB Tate Press