Chill Check

How do you talk to yourself when you’re stressed?

As cheesy as it might sound – I’ll offer you a piece of advice my dad shared with me at a young age, and has stuck with me since: sometimes, you gotta learn to be your own best friend. Of course, easier said than done, especially when things are going your way. 

No matter how strong, fast or successful you are, though – I hope you also have the capacity to speak kindly to yourself when things don’t go your way. And if you’re still in the process of building that capacity, well, I have two pieces of support to offer you – one abstract, one tangible.

Abstract first – a useful framework to keep in mind the next time you could use a voice of support.. Something I learned from a podcast a few years ago featuring sports psychology expert, Dr. Lenny Weirsma, was a hierarchy of sorts related to the point-of-view in which you speak to yourself, and the degree to which each perspective actually motivates you to behave differently (read: better). 

The first is to speak to yourself in the first-person: I can do this. The second is to speak to yourself in the third person. To use myself as an example: Kimmy, you got this. The third – and generally most effective, however – is to speak to yourself from the perspective of someone you greatly admire. Again, to use myself as an example – here I would imagine someone I really love saying to me, Kimmy, you can do this.

As useful as all that may sound – let’s say you’re simply exhausted. Let’s say you’re really struggling to muster up the energy to speak to yourself constructively, and from any perspective. Well, that’s okay too, because I’m happy to now offer a weekly resource that can help. One that will allow me to share my voice with you. All you have to do is:

Text BREATHENOW to 855-909-1350

If you think this is an infomercial, think again! I’m serious – text BREATHE to the number above, and every Wednesday, you’ll receive a B&E Chill Check – an audio track for a guided breathwork exercise to help you downregulate. The best part? Each exercise will always be 3 minutes or less.

The Breath & Exposure program at DEUCE was founded upon a desire to teach anyone and everyone how to better regulate their nervous system. In even simpler terms, B&E seeks to provide you with the capacity to access peace, and in any given moment. Breath is the foundational tool we use to make this happen, and I couldn’t be more excited to share this new resource with you, where all you’ll be required to do to help de-stress is pause for a few minutes, and listen.

4/20/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of: 
10 Lateral Roller Push Ups
8 Renegade Rows

Then, every 3 minutes for 4 rounds, complete the following for time:
1 Bull Run
8 Sumo Deadlifts (225/185)
10 Burpees

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
6-8 Good Mornings
6-8 Tempo Strict Dips (40X0)

Then, complete the following for time:
30 DB Floor Presses

————-

3 rounds:
20 Hand Release Push Ups
10 Toes-to-Bar

-Rest 3 Min-

Then, complete the following for time:
30 DB Thrusters

———–

3 rounds:
15 Up Downs
15 Wall Balls

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

3-3-3-3
1-Leg Vertical Jumps (ea)

Then, in 8 minutes, build to a “high” drop-step box jump…

Then, perform 4 rounds for quality of:
4 Depth Jumps
12 Alt Renegade Rows 
-Rest as Needed-

Then, perform 2 rounds of the following:
AMRAP 1
15 Plate Ground-to-Overhead (45/25)
Max Alt Jumping Lunges
-Rest 1:30-

AMRAP 1
15 KB Swings (70/53)
Max Plyo Lateral Plate Shuffles