Phew!.. Too Hard..

It’s human nature to avoid the unknown and uncomfortable. It wouldn’t help our efforts in survival much to be able to turn off fear easily. As a coach I see this all the time. Consciously or subconsciously,  men and women of all walks of life dodge adversity even when it’s in their best interest.

Take fitness, for example. “Of course I can’t find 20 minutes to get some exercise! Have you seen my schedule?” Diets are the worst, too. People willingly take on the most ridiculous diets and nutritional strategies, only to quit them a short time after because they’re “too hard.” In many cases, that’s the plan all along. Some consciously take on things they know they will fail at because, well, failure is easy. Others don’t even realize that they’re doing it, but the thought of succeeding and the work involved in securing success is often too great to see it though.

We are on Day 3 of The Whole Life Challenge and it’s is primed for such behavior. Folks will begin to say things like:

“I couldn’t figure out the website.”

“The nutrition rules were just too hard.”

“I started to get a headache without my normal breakfast routine.”

And, just like that they will be off the hook, stress free, and happy. The problem is, though, that those that try this will end up right where they started and in need of some serious changes, and so the vicious cycle begins. Plus, this isn’t my first rodeo… you’re not sneaking one past me.

Press on.

Press on.

I know school teachers and most parents can empathize with their kids trying to pull a fast one on them. What the kids never understand is that your social studies teacher knows about the email-the-project-but-forget-the-attachment trick to buy an extra day for the term paper. Similarly, your mom saw right through your “sore throat” on Senior Skip Day.

Yes, it’s much easier to undermine your own success. That’s the point. Anything worthwhile isn’t going to be easy. And trust me, you wouldn’t want it any other way.

Logan Gelbrich

———————

Monday’s Workout:

6 rounds for time of:

200m Run

12 Hang Power Cleans (135/95)

6 Shoulder to Overhead

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *