Finding Solace in Training or The Iron Doesn’t Lie

Life is terrifying and wonderful all at the same time. So much of it is uncertain. That’s what gives it much of its excitement. 

The uncertain reality of life is why we are so processed-oriented at DEUCE. The number of variables over which we have no control far outnumbers the number inside our control. This has led us to the belief that doubling down on that which is in our control is a far more fruitful and productive way to operate. 

And still, even with herculean efforts to master everything within our control, there is still so much doubt and uncertainty. Business, especially, is like this. The unpredictable nature of the game is what makes it worth playing. It is, however, quite taxing mentally. 

I’ve found that very little in life is straightforward and clear-cut—very little except for training. 

Outcomes in training are infinitely easier to control for than they are in life. 

The farther I progress in life, the more solace I find in training. Its simplicity and surety give me comfort. Solving for ‘X’ will always feel approachable. 

Training is a reliable oasis in a world of chaos and unpredictability.

It has always been difficult for me to interpret the world. I often get stuck in my head, chasing my thoughts. Physical disciplines are never like that; a heavy barbell will force me to quiet the noise in my head. 

In the gym, I always know exactly what I’m getting. Even when I’m disappointed. If I am defeated by an external object or myself, it is just information. I am not strong enough now, but the way forward is clear.

If I put in the work, the results always show. More weight on the bar with better control will always equal more strength. Sleep will always be anabolic. Consistently hitting my protein or not will always yield an inevitable result. This is precisely what Henry Rollins was communicating in his often-quoted article,  Iron And The Soul, when he said, “200 pounds is always 200 pounds.

5/16/24 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following
12 Lat Pulldowns

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
20 Alt DB Bicep Curls
10 Half-Kneeling Crossbody Cable Chops (ea)

Complete 3 rounds for reps:
In :75…
Bull Run
Max DB Snatches (50/30)
— Rest 1:45 —

DEUCE Garage GPP

Complete 6 efforts of a Handstand Balance to Forward Roll

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
Max (-2) Pullups
Max Parallette Pushups
:30 Hollow Hold

Then, complete 3 rounds for calories of: