On What is Possible With Self-Belief

I was recently asked to write a college scholarship recommendation letter for a friend. This is the first time I was asked to write such a letter, but what is remarkable about this is that I never thought my friend would go to college. She is 33 years old and grew up being told that she would never amount to anything. 

For a long time, that became the narrative in her own head, until she decided to break it. 

I have known the candidate for 6 years. I started off as her CrossFit Coach in Dallas, Texas. Today, I coach her remotely for Powerlifting.

When I first met her, she could not jump rope. When I say ‘could not jump rope’, I mean not one time. She lacked the coordination to jump over the rope for one repetition. 

However, she was determined to learn. On advice I doubted she would head, she set a 5:00 timer on her phone every night and practiced in her apartment with an extra rope I lent her. It took her longer than it takes most people, but she got there. she chose to see jumping rope as a skill, rather than an innate ability. 

The candidate takes this view on most things in life, including learning.

Her relationship with her mother was difficult. As a child and young woman, the candidate’s mother told her that she wouldn’t amount to anything and that college wasn’t for her. 

This language deeply impacted her and shaped the way she viewed herself and interacted with the world, specifically in work and education. I watched her struggle against the chains that this mindset trapped her in. 

Today, at 33 years old, she is planning her Bachelor’s degree with a significant amount of her Associates completed. After breaking free from unseen restraints, she sees a new life for herself. 

I’m sure many applicants deserve this scholarship. I’m uncertain how many will apply themselves and fight for their degree like they know what the alternative in life is. I’m very uncertain how many see intelligence as something that is developed and not gifted at birth. 

I’m very certain that if granted this scholarship, she will be a shining example of what it means to be a student- to be continually open to learning and developing herself, despite the unseen challenges that will come with earning a degree in her thirties. 

If not granted the scholarship, she will find a way to make school happen anyway. I’ve never seen her not prevail. 

1/30/24 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
8 Push Press

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
6-8 Weighted Pull Ups
15 Tate Presses
50-Yard KB Front Rack Carry

AMRAP 14
10 DB Hang Devils Presses (50/35)
12 Lateral Burpees Over-The-DB
Corner Run