Dr. Gabor Mate’s Six Step Self-Inquiry

There’s a new activity bubbling up in pop culture. Maybe I’m embellishing or being hopeful or whatever the right word is, but we’re talking about inquiry. The whole nature of inquiry is curiously questioning things. It’s a wonderful activity and it really has no limits. 

Folks can practice self-inquiry. We can practice inquiry in social norms, businesses, and even conceptual inquiry. Without being too redundant, there’s a key element to inquiry that provides all the potential value, which is that inquiry challenges assumptions. 

Challenging assumptions is kindling for growth and breaking new ground. 

If you want to try your hand at some self-inquiry, try this short and potent process from Dr. Gabor Mate. Mate asks his followers to engage in the following self-discovery questions:

• “In life’s important areas, what am I saying no to?
  • How does my inability to say no impact my life?
  • What bodily signals have I been overlooking? What symptoms have I been ignoring that could be warning signs, were I to pay conscious attention?
  • What is the hidden story behind my inability to say no?
  • Where did I learn these stories?
  • Where have I ignored or denied the “yes” that wanted to be said?”

Write your reflections to these down and allow yourself to ponder on them, especially the last three. It may take a few sittings to uncover these insights.

Good luck!

10/12/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

EMOM 5
3 Front Facing Throw (each)

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
8 Eccentric Single Arm DB
Incline Bench Press (each)

AMRAP 10
8 KB Push Presses (53/35)
12 KB Front Rack Forward Lunges
15 Ball Slams

DEUCE Garage GPP

Spend 8 minutes accumulating as many quality Kipping Straight Leg Raises as possible

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
Max Chin Ups
12 Partner Resisted PVC Hollow Rocks
:15-:20 Ring L-Sit

Then, every 5 minutes for 4 rounds, complete the following for time:
25 KB Swings (70/53)
400m Run