Training Volume: A Bias to Recent History

There’s that country song that goes, “I’m as good once as I ever was.” It’s about an old head who admits he’s not in his prime, but when it comes to love and fighting that he can be as good as he ever was if it just meant doing it one time. 

Strength and skills in the gym are a bit the same. 

You can go a few months or even a year and put together a pretty heavy strength training session. Similarly, you won’t need to re-learn double unders if you went on a backpacking trip through Europe for six months without a jump rope. 

As we approach Memorial Day, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that volume doesn’t quite work the same way. “Murph” is coming. 

Volume is different. 

One’s ability to express considerable volumes of work is more specifically tied to his/her recent training history. If you could run a marathon six months ago, for example, it wouldn’t be advisable to hit the pavement for 26.2 miles after being sedentary. 

If you plan to take on “Murph” this year, you’ve got to get volume in your body. This is specifically true even if you’ve done “Murph” in the past.

5/23/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 3 rounds of the following:
3 Strict Press

Complete 3 rounds for quality:
4-6 Wall Walk
10 DB Floor Press
16 alt DB Gorilla Row

Complete 2 rounds for time:
12 Curtis Ps (95/65)
Bull Run

DEUCE Garage GPP