The World’s Most Underrated Special Strength

Think back to the last time you missed a front squat. What happened? I bet at some point coming out of the hole the weight beat you and the bar dumped forward, right? Right. 

Now think back to the last time you lost form in a deadlift. If you had video of it from the side, you’d likely see your flat back start position deteriorate first at shoulder level. Somewhere near your scapulas your back began to round, right? Right. 

You can’t afford to have a weak upper back.

I doubt you really want me to go on, but the examples could be endless. At first glance, the front squat seems to have nothing to do with horizontal pulling exercises. Some might call them opposites. Furthermore, the deadlift doesn’t seem to have much in common with the front squat pattern and how one could fit all three into an article together seems like a stretch. 

Listen. The less-than-sexy, but critical horizontal pulling exercises that we’re committed to having in our training programs affect everything. Our Venice location will be doing four sets of twelve in the bent row today for this very reason. 

Posture is a fitness quality earned with strength. 

If you can’t wrap your mind around liking bent rows, Pendlay rows, inverted rows, and lat pull downs, just insert your love for making new personal records in your other lifts as motivation. We won’t let you have a weak upper back because you can’t afford it.

5/10/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
5 Bench Press

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
10 DB Chest Supported Rows
25 Banded Tricep Pulldowns
:30 Side Plank (ea)

Then, complete 4 rounds of the following for reps:
In :90:
50 Lateral Plyo Hops
Max KB Swings (70/53)