Critical Shift: Loving What’s Helpful

On a recent DEUCE Nutrition call, I made an analogy that I’d like to share with you. If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that you’ve (at least for a time in your life) found a way to tolerate the discomforts of training to do it anyway.

What I said on the Zoom call was, “When you’re front squatting at 6:30am, I think we can both agree that it’s not your first favorite thing you’d like to be doing at that time.”

He agreed.

Nonetheless, this gentleman has found a way to learn to like the things that he knows are good for him. Food is the same way. I promise you, I’d eat beautifully griddled pancakes with crispy fringes every single morning if I could without consequences. Unfortunately, that’s not the world we live in, so a shift is required of me to have nutritional success.

The life-changing shift is the moment you learn to love the processes that are helpful for realizing your goals.

It’s so easy to enjoy and love the parts of life that will get in the way. All humans share that. Yet, when you can learn to love eating well, sleeping eight hours, working hard, and all the other adult things that aren’t the most fun, but are the most helpful.

5/8/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 3 rounds of the following:
5 Chained Back Squat

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
10 Front Foot Elevated DB Split Squats (ea)
5 Partner GHRs

Then, every 4 minutes for 4 rounds, complete the following for decreasing times:
10 Push Ups
10 DB Power Cleans (50/35)
40 Double Unders

DEUCE Garage GPP

Make 3 attempts at the following for load:
1 Hang Clean (Below-the-Knee)
2 Front Squats

4-4-4
Clean Pull

In 20 minutes, complete the following for reps:
800m Run
——