Throw Your Scale in the Trash

You read that correctly. That scale that you have in your bathroom can go right in the trash. Aside from the fact that I can step on three different scales and get three different results in my weight, most people’s body weight fluctuates up and down a few pounds throughout every day. The scale gives us a number without any other viable information on how our body actually looks and feels. Yet many of us place far too much value on that number and we let it affect us in a negative way. Well, I’m here to say: YOU DON’T NEED IT!

I came in kind of hot there but I wanted to make a point. Yes, weight scales can be used as a viable tracking tool to help you gauge where you are at physically. And they can help us make goals as we aim to change our bodies physically but beyond that, it’s just a number. I have been 185lbs and incredibly weak while recovering from surgery as well as 185lbs and incredibly strong playing a professional sport.

Same weight, completely different body composition.

The lesson to be learned here is rather obvious but we are at a place where almost 70% of adults in our country are overweight, with 40% of those people being considered obese. Those are huge numbers and they continue to rise as we are living through the most unhealthy time in our country’s history (dare I say the world’s history). What this means is that there will be hundreds of thousands of people looking to make a change and live a healthier life, if they haven’t already. And the first thing they will do is hop on the scale and make a goal to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time in the future. We love that energy but I hope we can turn our attention to nutrition and how we feel versus what a number is telling us.

With minimal physical exertion and a well-thought-out nutrition plan, we can make that positive change regardless of what the scale says. We can sleep better, think more clearly, improve our self-confidence, and even look better with your shirt off. But, we have to care… we have to care a lot about what we put in our body and how we move it. We have to be willing to sacrifice those foods that got us to this point and we have to seek guidance if we are unsure of how to make these changes.

DEUCE Nutrition is a great place to start where you will receive coaching and nutrition guidance that is tailored to you specifically. There’s a lot of bogus information out there and it can be paralyzing at times if you don’t know where to start. The important thing is that you simply start. Find help if you need it, ask questions, and take charge of your health.

You only get one body so treat it right.

2/7/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Spend 12 minutes to build to a

Heavy Sumo Deadlift With Chains

Drop Sets: 2×12 Sumo Deadlift

Complete 3 rounds for quality:

12 Heel Elevated DB Goblet Squat

10-12 Evil Wheels

Complete 5 rounds for time of:

5 Neutral Grip Pull Ups

10 Hand Release Push Ups

20 Jump Squats