My Enemy Is My Friend?

Let me set the scene. It’s a dreary and wet Christmas Day on the western front just months into the first World War. Allied Forces hunker down in their trenches probably thinking of their families back home until they start to hear a whisper all the way from the German side of the battlefield. That whisper soon grows into a loud melody of a Christmas carol as more and more Germans join in. What comes next is nothing short of a miracle as the British, Dutch, and French soldiers begin to sing back. The two sides continue to exchange songs until they eventually crawl out from their trenches and start walking towards each other.

The soldiers begin to trade personal items with each other and even some stories tell of a soccer game that took place between the two sides. A field full of enemies who in that moment couldn’t tell friend from foe as they interacted like people and not soldiers. The Christmas Truce as it was so aptly named became one of the greatest displays of harmony and humanity the world has ever seen. How cool is that? 

So, my question for you is do you have enemies?

And if you do, why? Human beings have far more in common with each other than we do differences. Our mere existence is enough to transcend cultures and boundaries in a way that can unite us if we are willing. I understand this can come across all kumbaya and whatnot but isn’t that the point? You are allowed to not like people or not want to associate with them for a number of reasons. Reasons that are most likely justified but can you still not care for them and the people who love them? 

I like to think that anyone I have ever considered as an enemy could have been my friend given different circumstances in either of our lives and when I look at people through that lens my perception of them changes. I become softer and more understanding and I don’t think that is a bad thing at all. History is full of stories where enemies become friends or lifelong partners and I think those stories are perfect examples of what makes us so special. We have the ability to forgive and find understanding and embrace those we once sat opposed to.

Cheers to more friends and less enemies.

8/22/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

2-2-2-2-2
Power Cleans

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

6 Weighted Chin Ups
8 Single Leg Hamstring Curls

Then, complete 4 rounds for time:

5 Barbell Thrusters (135/95)
10 Burpees
1 Corner Run

DEUCE GARAGE GPP