You’re Better Than You Think

Whenever I’m feeling down on myself I like to do math. Honestly I hate math but these numbers always tend to bring me some joy and a sense of accomplishment. There are 455,300 high school baseball players in the country, most of whom have aspirations to play baseball in college and professionally. There are 25,700 NCAA baseball players in the country of which only 600 are drafted to play professionally each year. And as you get closer to the Major Leagues, your chances of actually making it only get smaller and smaller. When you crunch the numbers it turns out that only 5.6% of high school baseball players make it to college and a mere 0.5% of high school baseball players will eventually get drafted to play professionally.

The chances of playing a sport professionally are slim to none for any aspiring high school athlete and the percentages are even smaller for sports like basketball and football. It takes an incredible amount of hard work and sacrifice as well as some luck along the way. And having the opportunity to be one of the 0.5% of players to actually realize their dream has been the greatest joy of my life thus far.

Now I don’t say all of this to be boastful or brag in any way but I want to convey the importance of acknowledging your accomplishments. We shouldn’t live in the past but we also shouldn’t forget all that we have accomplished either. When times get tough and failures seem to persist in our present day lives, it becomes easy to look down on ourselves in a negative way. But I would be willing to bet money that everyone has accomplished things that make them incredibly unique and it is helpful to remember that.

Everyone is incredibly unique and singular in their own regard. Faced with different trials and tribulations, we have all found a way to carry on and do amazing things. So I find it important to take a moment every once in a while to remember all that you have achieved and use that as fuel to drive you forward to even greater triumphs in the future.

Keep going!

7/11/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

6-12 Pull Ups
12 Seated DB Arnold Presses
8 Pallof Presses (ea)
15 Hollow Rocks

Then, AMRAP 16

10 Goblet Squats
10 Axle Bar Deadlifts
6 Single DB Split Squat (ea)