Authority Doesn’t Make It True

Did you know that if a penny is dropped from the top of the Empire State Building, it could actually kill you? It’s kind of crazy to think such a small object could do so much damage but then again bullets are also small. I remember hearing this factoid told to me many times growing up as a kid and I always imagined how crazy it would be for a harmless penny to impale someone but I never really questioned it. It seemed logical.

Well, turns out it’s a lie. You see, a penny traveling at its terminal velocity would honestly just leave a bruise and probably sting a little bit if it actually hit you from the top of one of the tallest buildings in America. I don’t think that people intentionally lied to me about this but I trusted them because they were older and smarter than myself and they were authority figures to me.

Much like the story of Paul Revere, you know the guy who yelled, “The British are coming!” Now, this story is told in our history books and taught to us by teachers everywhere but it is also a lie. In truth, Paul didn’t light the lanterns in the church and he definitely didn’t scream that the enemy was coming. The message was carried out discreetly so as to not alarm any of the British troops in the surrounding areas. Oh, and there were five messengers that rode throughout the colonies to alert every one of the impending danger, shoutout William Dawes, Sam Prescott, Israel Bissell, and Sybil Ludington. 

For many of you who aren’t history nerds like myself, this is the first time you’re hearing this because we all learned at an early age from authority figures that Paul Revere was the solo hero of the story. Chances are this doesn’t really make you upset but what it should do is make you question. Our knowledge is based on an accumulation of information and stories that we have acquired over the entirety of our lives but the chances are we must be wrong about some things. What is true to us may not actually be true at all and that is liberating.

The assumption that we could be wrong about anything lends itself to us becoming lifetime students. Always questioning and searching for a better way to do things and for more understanding. A humble mindset that can change the way you live your life for the better.

Oh, and the famous quote, “Let them eat cake”? Yeah, Marie Antoinette never said that either.

Stay curious…

4/6/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Take 15:00 to find a heavy Deadlift…

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

12 KB Passthroughs
20 Contralateral Deadbugs

Then, complete the following for time:

2 Block Runs
100 Weighed Sit Ups (45/25)

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

2-2-2-2