A Love Letter to Our Tribulations

As I sit in this seat today and reflect, I’ve got to profess my love and admiration for the trials and tribulations of DEUCE Gym’s journey. It didn’t feel like it at the moment, but I can’t think of any significant transcendent moments that weren’t brought on by negative external stimulus. 

LEGAL WOES TO WORLD-CLASS LOCATION

Maybe we would have found our way eventually, but the accelerated decision making to sign the lease at 110 Lincoln Blvd was the impending legislation in Santa Monica to ban fitness in the park (no typo). The building that, at the time, was concerningly small and lacked amenities is literally a signature experience shared as a remarkable value add according to happy patrons from around the world. 

TAX BILLS TO DEUCE UNIVERSITY 

Remarkable financial stress from a hefty tax bill and an employee exit strategy forced the accelerated production of Coach’s Prep 101 as a new revenue source. This was rushed to the point of sections being written and filmed the week of them being released to students enrolled in the course. More than financial patch work, the online education changed my life financially and allowed me to remove my payroll burden from the business and begin paying unprecedented industry wages that our coaches deserve, including full PPO medical, IRA, and free therapy services. It also has aided in the development of more than 200 coaches world-wide and has become an entry point from non-LA native coaches who have become staple leaders, like Lacey Fema, Campbell Lillard, Shawn Anglin, etc. 

GLOBAL TRAGEDY TO RECORD GROWTH

I’ll never forget the mentality on the team when we decided to shut the gyms down ahead of mandates as the covid-19 drama unfolded. We played on offense the whole time. Truthfully, by March 15, 2020 DEUCE had espoused to be a lighthouse of adaptive leadership and proclaimed to mentees on five continents that we were an antifragile organization. Yet, we had never been tested. We stole the phrase, “Never let a good crisis go to waste” and the rest is history. Once the dust settled, DEUCE monthly revenues grew 25% and have sustained. 

If I may speak directly to tribulations, I’d like to say, “Thank you and I love you.” I welcome you in all your different shapes and colors.

3/24/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

50 Yard Reverse Sled Drag
15 each Powell Raise
12 Roller Hamstring Curls

Then, AMRAP 12

5 Pull Ups 
10 Push Ups
15 Air Squats

Then, complete the following in as few sets as possible:

100 Banded Hamstring Curls