The One Statement We All Need to Hear

There’s one line that neutralizes any emotional pain or dysregulation. It just so happens to be my therapist’s favorite line. 

While I just started a new paragraph mostly because I needed to take a breather from the fact that I just said the previous sentence (eye roll), I meant what I said. I’ve had a largely negative, even traumatic experience with therapy in the past, but I gave it another chance. You see, we’re fortunate enough as staff at DEUCE to have access to free access to psychotherapy and our therapist likes to say:

“You make perfect sense.”

It’s such a powerful statement, because it acknowledges any person with any plight. Furthermore, it’s made specifically powerful when it’s backed by science. Our therapist, for example, validates every emotion and behavior as making “perfect sense” because we all have a central nervous system. That central nervous system is an old system that’s running on millions of years of evolution to do one thing and one thing only, which of course is survival. 

With this premise, you actually do make perfect sense. After all, anyone with your background in your situation would do and feel exactly the way you do. I find incredible liberation and acknowledgement in this. And, I hope you do, too.

9/10/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of: 

5 Overhead Squat (5,0,1,0)
10 Evil Wheel (5,0,1,0)

Then, complete the following for time:

1 7th Street Corner Run
50 Air Squats
40 Push Ups
30 Pull Ups
20 Single Dumbbell Devil Press (total) (40/25)
1 Bull Run

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 Offset DB Split Squat (ea)
8 Banded Pulldown

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality of:

10 DB Renegade Row (ea)
12 Banded Tricep Extension

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality of:

15 Bent Y-raise

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

3-3-3-3-3