Best Supporting Actor: Oblique Chains

Your obliques (the sides of your abs) are the Cuba Gooding Jr. to your Jerry McGuire Glutes. Let’s be honest the glutes have been taking home Academy Awards as the super star in fitness for years. I’m here to talk about the supporting actor that can make (or break) whether your glutes have a chance to shine or not. 

In fact, just before I took the photo above I was telling the room about the importance of a strong oblique chain in order to access the glutes. The most notable relationship between the obliques and the glutes comes from the Posterior Oblique Chain (POC). This chain connects the big hunk of meat back muscle called the latissimus dorsi on one side to the gluteus maximus on the opposite side. Said differently, a stronger POC allows for better access to the glutes you’ve already developed. 

If training the obliques as they relate to the Holy Grail of glute activation is too specific for your interests, please heed the subtle theme that the body is an interconnected system. Glute development is more complex than hip thrusts for that reason. 

We love strong butts, but let’s not forget that the award for best supporting actor goes to… the Obliques!

2/15/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 3 round for quality of: 
15 Push Ups to Downward Dog
30 Butterfly Sit Ups
15 Up Downs

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality of: 
10 KB Power Cleans (ea)
-Rest :45-

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of: