DIY: Mental Model Improvement

I think I have an anger problem. Being a mentor to others is both a rewarding and painful process. Mostly what angers me about the process is seeing potential in others who aren’t pursuing it, then I realized something. 

We can only be as good as our mental models. 

After all, if you’re attempting to be great, you’d need to know what “great” is and that definition is a model in your mind made up of people and experiences that help you define it. 

Anyone who has been in Coach’s Prep or some other form of mentorship with me has likely heard language like, “You’ll want to find better models in your life if you want to be successful.” Hanging around low performers, gossipers, and folks who aren’t radical about their direction are problematic to building a quality mental model for your success. 

In fact, I’m not sure I have many remarkable skills except one. I’ll surround myself with top tier models. The gentleman pictured above is one of just a few that I keep close to me. He’s still young, but his life has been a Hollywood movie of courage, tenacity, and wonder. 

It’s easy to be good when you’re aiming at that level of great. Keep going.

12/14/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 Rounds:
8 Landmine Lateral Lunges(ea)

Complete 3 rounds for quality:
8 Renegade Rows
8 Double Kneeling 1-Arm DB Presses(ea)
50 Yard Front Rack KB Carry

12-9-6-9-12
DB Push Presses(40/25)
DB Front Squats
Lateral Push-ups

DEUCE Garage GPP

Take 15 minutes to find a heavy Keg Load (50/48)..

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
10 Midstance RDLs (ea)
16 Alt DB Pull Throughs

Then, every 6 minutes for 2 sets, complete the following for time:
800m Run

-Rest 5 Min-

Every 6 minutes for 2 sets, complete the following for time:
800m Run