Spam Emails, Grocery Store Solicitors, and the Action

I wouldn’t recommend bringing sand to the beach. There’s a well traveled conversation around how to create signal in typically noisy environments that we don’t need to fully hash out here, but I do become enraged by the folks that harass people outside of their local grocery stores and the number of spam emails that seem to continue to show up. I’m less enraged by them specifically than I am by the premise of the strategy. 

These people espouse that they can create value. 

“Hire my PR firm and we’ll drive your ROI by 500%,” they say. Or, some dude trying to commandeer 15-minutes of your day is probing with “come listen to my parking lot TEDTalk, because we’re absolutely crushing global warming over here.”

The problem is, the PR firm cannot be reached after you’ve donated $6000 and ROI isn’t a thing. You also learn quickly that the guy with a clipboard who you donated $100 a month to hasn’t, in fact, got a clue about how to move the needle on ocean temperatures. 

If you’re creating value in the world, you likely won’t be a hidden needle in a haystack of folks who espouse value, but aren’t actually about that action. Folks, who get shit done are rare and almost never dressed like your local full-of-shit marketer. 

What’s the lesson here? If you’re acting like a phony, cut it out and get to work on creating value. If you’re creating value, swim upstream. Spending time with folks who are passengers in life provides very detrimental life support to behavior that we don’t need in our inbox and the Whole Foods parking lot. 

Raise your hand if you’re about that action.

6/13/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
3 Weighted Box Jumps

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
8 1-Leg Landmine RDLs (ea)
8 Copenhagen Planks(each)

5 rounds for time
5 Front Squats(155/105)
15 Push-ups
7th Street Corner Run

DEUCE Garage GPP