The Hidden Dangers of Positive Intent

Rarely (if ever) are humans trying to be bad. Even the most unforgivable behavior often originates as some sort of positive intent from the perpetrator. Don’t believe me? Ask anyone who is “in the wrong” and they will say (and mean) that they didn’t intend to hurt your feelings or do you wrong.

All of our behavior has positive intent. 

In extreme cases, even bank robbers often believe they have to or they are entitled to do so. But, what if we aren’t talking about extreme cases? I think the most interesting perspectives on positive intent are around seemingly “normal” change behavior.

What’s the positive intent behind failing to be compliant to your nutrition plan? What’s the positive intent behind falling off the wagon on your mobility practice?

There is one!

Someone once told me, “there are no solutions, only trade-offs.” Once you understand that even your most frustrating behavior has some hidden positive intent and, in many cases, uncovering that intent will guide you to resolving your ineffective behavior. 

Many folks who aren’t compliant to a nutrition plan or can’t seem to stay regular on their mobility work, get all kinds of benefits for not doing so. After all, if the outcomes were only bad, I promise the habit wouldn’t be so hard to break. 

When you think about changing behavior, the most helpful question is, “What’s at stake here?” After all, real change comes with loss. Committing to your diet or mobility plan would create loss of something(s) and acknowledging what’s at stake could give you a chance to finally make a meaningful change.

3/7/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following for load:

2 Elevated Deadlifts

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:

8 Barbell Glute Bridges

8 Lateral DB Lunges (each)

Then, with a partner, AMRAP 12

5, 6, 7, 8.. Burpees

5, 6, 7, 8.. Hang DB Power Cleans (50/35)

5, 6, 7, 8.. Front Rack DB Reverse Lunges

DEUCE Garage GPP

4-4-4-4

Weighted Strict Pull Ups

Complete 3 rounds for quality:

3 Max Wide Grip Pull Up Negatives (50X1)

10 DB Chest Supported Row

15-20 Push Ups-to-Barbell

Then, complete the following for time:

15-12-9-6

Shoulder-to-Overhead (135/95)

Box Jumps (24/29)

Burpees