There’s No Small Parts, Only Small People

I’m pretty sure the title of this blog is an old adage that people would say to make someone feel better when they didn’t get the lead role in their school play. Though it may be cliché and sound cheesy, however, I hold the above statement to be true. And we can see this truth play out in real life all the time.

For example, did you know that many hockey teams in the NHL have a member of the staff tend the players’ backup sticks during the game? To paint a better picture, imagine a young guy in his team issue polo watching the game play out on the ice whilst hovering his hand over the backup sticks of whichever player has possession of the puck. I mean literally every time a player on his team touches the puck he prepares for the worst, a broken stick, and is ready to promptly hand that player his backup stick as he skates by. 

Seems a bit ridiculous, right? It would appear like a boring and monotonous job that has little consequence on the outcome of the game anyway. Truthfully it probably is boring at times and I doubt that the young man is getting paid a ton of money to do the job either. However, as I was watching a game last year I witnessed the backup stick guy have his moment in the sun and become a hero. Because with less than 2 minutes in the game and a tie score there was a clash around center ice where one player broke his stick and the other player fell to the ice. Within mere seconds the player with the broken stick received his backup from our guy and proceeded to cut behind the defense to score the go ahead goal. 

No one seemed to notice our young man’s role in helping score that goal except for every player and coach on the ice. He received a flurry of high fives and excited shoves because they all recognized what he had done for the team. The guy with the most boring job on the team finally got to see all his work pay off.

On any team, there will always be jobs that are of more importance than others. After all, the backup stick guy can’t run a practice or score the goals but he can do his job to the best of his ability. Doing a job well, no matter it’s importance, not only demonstrates respect for yourself and your peers but also it acts as practice. Practice for when you finally do find yourself in a position of importance with a lot on the line and when that time comes you will be ready.

Stay humble and stay hungry.

11/18/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

5-5-5-5
Front Squat

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

12 Elevated Supine Inverted Rows
15 DB Rear Flys

Then, complete the following for time:

30-20-10
Devil Presses (40/25)
Push Ups