Injuries: The Road To Self-Discovery

Oftentimes I feel unqualified to be writing these blogs. Though I believe I have accumulated a lot of life experience in my short 27 years, who am I to be giving advice on how you should live your life or become a better person? Aware of my youth, I try to convey ideas and messages in the best way possible all while knowing I am no expert in much of anything. However, when it comes to injuries I might be one of the more qualified people you’ll ever meet. I won’t bore you with the laundry list of broken bones and concussions and torn ligaments but let’s just say I have more scar tissue in my body than I do muscle.

Injuries are a part of life. Whether you are an athlete or a frequent gym goer or an avid hiker or you just like to ride your bike on the weekends, injuries happen. And in most cases we view these ailments as a problem… because they are a problem. They often cost an exorbitant amount of time and money to heal. They restrict us physically and they severely affect us mentally. Ultimately, there aren’t a lot of positives to being hurt unless you choose to look at them differently.

Through my numerous encounters with being hurt I have learned to look at injuries as a challenge. A test of my mental fortitude and determination to heal my body and come out on the other side as a stronger individual. Because injuries are traumatic, no matter how serious, this trauma needs to be confronted or else it will run your life. It is okay to feel depressed and frustrated when we are met with something that changes our way of life but we cannot let it become chronic. Action is required to overcome those negative emotions and action is where mental toughness is found.

Healing requires an incredible amount of mental strength and typically it is strength you never knew you had because only an injury or severe setback could require such a level of mental fortitude. I choose to see it as an opportunity to see what kind of person I am and I’d encourage you to do the same.

Like many things in life it is a choice. A choice to fight or to hide.

Which will you choose?

10/25/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

5-5-5-5
Front Squat

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

15 Banded KB Swings
1 50 Yard Front Rack KB Carry

Then, EMOM 15

8 Dips
:20 L-Sit Hold
:30 Max Hand Release Push Ups