The Joy Of Painting with Bob Ross

We all know the old school tapes and the memes created online centered around the one and only Bob Ross. In his calming instructional videos, Bob taught different techniques usually involving oil paintings of different landscapes. Now at first glance nothing about these videos seems remarkable other than Ross’s extraordinarily calm demeanor but what if I told you that he made all 403 episodes for free? And not only that but he was able to film a 13 episode season in just 1 week?

Anyone who has ever tried to film a video, or an instructional video more specifically, knows how painstaking the process can be. The idea of filming about a dozen 30 minute videos in just a week seems a little crazy but Bob Ross was able to do this with ease. And this reminds of a quippy saying I like to throw out there sometimes:

“You either got it or you don’t”.

When it comes to any skill or discipline, there are always those people where it seems easy for them to be great. Well you want to know a secret? It isn’t easy for anyone. But true masters of their craft are able to make it look easy because of the amount of time and energy they have dedicated to becoming great. The effortlessness comes from complete confidence in their ability to perform their particular task well. They got it. 

There is a difference between hoping to perform well and knowing that you will.

Bob Ross had accumulated thousands of hours across decades of teaching the art of painting to the point where he had become so comfortable with his ability that he was able to produce a successful product so efficiently he could basically do it for free.

So my question for you reading this is what is your craft and have you put in enough work to where it seems effortless when you do it? If the answer is no, then let’s get to work!

9/16/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 KB Front Rack Bulgarian Split Squats (ea)
10 Straight Arm Lat Pulldown
15 Side Plank + Banded Row (ea)

Then, EMOM 15

Min 1: :30 Max Double Unders
Min 2:. 6 Renegade Rows
Min 3:  8 Hang Devil Presses (40/30)

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

5-5-5-5
Barbell Bent Over Rows

Complete 3 rounds for quality of: 

:15-:30 Hand Stand Holds
12 DB Rear Flys