Leadership: A Departure from Abilities and Tools

In taking a course from one of the teachers I admire most in the field of leadership, I was challenged to separate the abilities and the tools of leadership from the work to be done. We’re often digging into what leadership is and how to develop it both behind the scenes and in explicit conversations like this one a DEUCE. The reason for this is leadership becomes important when challenges are present. And, frankly, challenges are inevitable. 

This notion of separating the characteristics of leadership and the work of leadership is both important and rare, in my experience. 

In my experience, most any business magazine article addressing leadership or classroom discussion of the concept is dominated by the qualities of leadership. We begin to articulate and describe leadership with things like charisma, experience, decision-making ability, etc. Meanwhile, there are many, many examples of people with these qualities that specifically are not leading. 

The designation that effective leadership is directly connected to the work to be done tethers leadership to action, results, and embodies more responsibility for the task at hand. My ask of you is to examine your assumptions around leadership. When you think of it, do you begin listing the qualities of a “great” leader? If so, you may benefit from a shift towards the work required of the leader first.

10/21/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of: 

12 Back Barbell Split Squat(total)
8 Half Kneeling Med Ball Throw(ea)

Then, complete 2 drop sets for quality of:
2 Different Weights Split Squat

Then, complete 5 rounds fo the following for time:

AMRAP 3
3 Devils Presses(40/25)
6 Push-ups
9  Air Squats