Enough is Enough

More is more is more is more is never enough.

The entrepreneurial spirit has never been more alive than it is currently in present time. In fact the number of applications for starting a business has increased an incredible 95% over the past year in the United States. There are roughly 582 million people in the world who are considered to be entrepreneurs and I think that is inspiring. However, with this rising push in creating your own business and generating your own wealth has come the constant need to have more. And I find myself asking, “What is enough for me?”. When will I be happy with what I have?

In my search for an actual answer to these questions, I happened upon a poem by the famed Kurt Vonnegut. The poem reads as follows:

True story, Word of Honor:

Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer
now dead,
and I were at a party given by a billionaire
on Shelter Island.
I said, “Joe, how does it make you feel
to know that our host only yesterday
may have made more money
than your novel ‘Catch-22’
has earned in its entire history?”
And Joe said, “I’ve got something he can never have.”
And I said, “What on earth could that be, Joe?”
And Joe said, “The knowledge that I’ve got enough.”
Not bad! Rest in peace!

The thing I love about this poem is that it doesn’t try to describe or articulate what is “enough”. Rather it paints a picture of two close friends, accomplished in their own right, enjoying each other’s company. It’s this very image that helped me realize what enough would be for me.

Money has never turned me on and I like nice things but never in abundance. What I have spent most of my life longing for, however, is connection. The conversations and relationships that I have with people I love are what I cherish most. I am most fulfilled when I am actively participating in the lives of my family and community, a hard thing to do for a natural introvert such as myself.

Of course I have goals and aspirations for my life and career but everything that comes with that will just be icing on the cake. I’ll be damned if I’m willing to sacrifice my family and friends for anything more. My hope for you is that you can find your “enough”.

More is more is more is already enough.

10/20/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of: 

8 Barbell Glute Bridge
1 40 Yard Farmers Carry

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:

8 Staggered Stance DB RDL’s +
8 Goblet Hold Curtsy Split Squats

Then, EMOM 16

1). 5 ManMakers (35/20)
2). 30 Double Unders