Change Your Perspective: Synchronized Swimming

Confession time. I used to see synchronized swimming in the Olympics and on TV sometimes and I just didn’t get it. Get More Info from this post about how I crossed this hurdle easily.The camera would just show legs in the air and they would sometimes make cool shapes in the pool, much like a college marching band does at halftime. So I simply just wrote it off as being weird and not really worth my time to watch.

Well that all changed this summer because of Anita Alvarez. Anita and I work for a company called RISE Athletes as mentors to young athletes around the world and when I found out she would be competing in Tokyo, I decided to tune in and watch her compete. As she and her partner got into the water I was just expecting to see much of what I had been accustomed to seeing from my very few past viewing experiences (all 2 of them). Their time started and sure enough the legs went up into the air but then… holy smokes we have underwater cameras now!

The broadcast switched to the underwater camera and I was suddenly exposed to one of the most incredible displays of athleticism I’ve ever seen. I immediately sat up on my couch and started yelling, “STOP IT. STOP IT.” as I laughed in disbelief. I could not believe how these girls were moving and contorting their bodies underwater, all while treading water with their arms and holding their breath. Simply amazing.

I was honestly disappointed in how ignorant I was in not respecting the ability of these girls and their sport. And I would have never realized this oversight if it wasn’t for the underwater camera or rather, the CHANGE IN PERSPECTIVE. All I needed was a glimpse below the surface to understand what was really taking place.

So often we view the world and ourselves in a certain way because its natural and it helps our psyche make sense of it all. However, this leads to harsh judgements and complacency of the worst kind. We are better than that… we must be better than that. Be open to having your mind changed and embrace perspectives contrary to your own. And google ‘underwater synchronized swimming’ to have your mind blown.

Thank you, Anita!

10/13/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of: 

8 Chin-up
12 Wide Inverted Row

Then, complete 2 drop sets for quality of:
3 Different Weights DB Curls

Then, AMRAP 12

6 Unbroken DB Power Cleans + 8 Unbroken DB Push Presses
6 Pull-ups
1 7th Street Corner Run