RECIPE: Stone Soup

I’ve got an important fable for you. It’s about a poor, hungry traveler who wanders into a village with the hopes of finding some sustenance. He knocks on the first door he sees and an old woman who comes to the door and denies his requests for food. After all, she’s poor and hungry, too. 

The traveler proceeds to do an unforgettable act. 

He retrieves a large stone from the land in front of the home and knocks again. “Would you like to try some of my stone soup?” he asks. The old woman laughs and confidently reports that one cannot make soup from stone. Nonetheless, he persists. Since she was hungry and had never seen someone make stone soup before she invites him in, lights a fire, and places a water filled kettle on top. 

The traveler puts a spoon in the boiling water and tastes it. “It’s almost done, but if you had some salt and butter it’d taste so much better,” he said to the woman. As they add the salt and butter to the kettle, the woman’s husband arrives with some carrots and potatoes and asks what they were cooking. 

“We’re making stone soup,” she responded.

“Impossible!” the husband said. 

The traveler assured the husband that it was true and that it was almost done, but it would taste much nicer if it had some carrots and potatoes. The hungry husband agreed and dropped the vegetables into the kettle. 

Soon the aroma of the kettle drifted outside. That’s when a neighbor who often stays inside wandered over. As he approached he heard the three talking about the soup. “It’s almost done,” the traveler stated. “But, it’d be so much better with some turnips and beans.” Overhearing the discussion, the poor, hungry neighbor shouted in the window, “I have some!”

Soon more villagers gathered and asked, “Is the stone soup ready yet?” The traveler assured them “almost” while one of the villagers declared, “I remember having stone soup with chicken and broth once.” 

Naturally, a villager proclaimed that he had a chicken, while another shared that she had some broth. Soon the pot was nearly spilling over and the traveler once again placed the spoon in the kettle for a taste. 

“Perfect!”

The traveler then served up a cup for every villager to taste. “It’s magic,” they proclaimed. Their celebration turned to concern. “Where can we get our own magic stone?” some asked. “This one is surely used up.”

The traveler shook his head and pulled the stone from the pot. The villagers realized that the incredible sustenance of the soup did not come from the stone. 

6/22/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of:
8 Chest Supported Rows
8 Arnold Presses
:30 Hollow Hold

AMRAP 10 
8 Dbl DB Hang Muscle Snatches
10 Push Ups
8 Pull Ups

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

2-2-2