Love of the Game Longevity

When it comes to finding new inspiration with training, I’ll let you in on a little secret – these days I find it almost exclusively outside the fitness world. Listening to Kenan Thompson on Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend this past weekend was simply another instance of this.

Call me biased – I grew up watching Kenan on TV (All That, Keenan & KelHeavyweightsThe Mighty Ducks, anyone? Um, legend…), but before Kenan ever joined SNL, and before becoming SNL’s longest tenured cast member, I always appreciated how much fun he seemed to be having – regardless of the role he was playing.

Fast forward to today, and to this podcast episode, and it was cool to hear Conan describe Kenan with the following words: “You’re capable of so much explosive, comedic joy. And then, you’re also a very quiet, very kind person who sort of exudes … goodness.”

This got me thinking about common traits of high performers who have stayed “in the game” for the longest. And how, of course, continuing to have FUN and be KIND aren’t really optional characteristics; they’re essential.

Look, I wish you all the good work ethic and good fortune to lift the heaviest weight out there. Equally so, I also hope you appreciate the upside to bringing a lightness to everything that you do.

But, don’t take my word for it. Take Kenan’s:

“You get a lot further with the honey than you do with – what is it? – salted vinegar chips?”

3/23/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

2-2-2-2-2
Hang Clean 

8-8-8-8
Push Press

Complete the following for time
10, 9, 8.. 1
Push Ups
Front Squats (95/65)

**Every 2 minutes, complete 1 Island Run/100 Run

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP