Conviction: Necessary, but Not Sufficient

“You can’t be halfway pregnant!” That’s what the coaches would say at least during base running drills. The crude metaphor was attempting to convey that there is no in-between while base running. Said differently, if you’re going to make a baserunning mistake in baseball’s highest levels of competition, you’d better make those mistakes with conviction

Hesitancy will get you killed. 

It seems like that’d be the case on the battlefield, too, or as a first responder. I’m not sure, but I don’t think semi-committed CPR works very well. When the stakes are high, conviction is required. And, how lucky are we to get to practice conviction. 

Didn’t know that you practice conviction at DEUCE Gym? Well, let me be the first to tell you that when you unrack a heavy barbell conviction alone might not guarantee that you make your lift, but not having it will guarantee that you won’t. 

Since conviction can pay the bills, save a life, and help make a back squat, we might lean into the practice of it the next time you have a chance in the gym. When it comes to your next lift, conviction is 100% necessary (but, not sufficient).

8/10/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
2 Hang Power Clean
1 Split Jerk

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:
12 DB Chest Supports Rows
8 FFE DB Split Squats (ea)
24 Alt Plate Russian Twists

Complete the following for time:
“DA Fran”
21-15-9