Tables Turn, Stay Vigilant

I’m not quiet about my past life in baseball, so by now you likely know that I’m very fond of my college baseball program. My time at the University of San Diego was impactful beyond words. Longer story made shorter, our coaching staff has gone on to head coaching positions at USD, LSU, Long Beach State, and the University of Hawaii. Every time these programs come to Los Angeles they have the guys stop in for a workout.

During these visits, I’m usually asked to speak a few words to the team and since I’m always looking for a blog topic, I figured I’d share the topic for this most recent visit.

As San Diego nears the end of conference play I shared a little history with them. In 2008, we were one of the best teams in the country. Each year the College World Series is held in Omaha, Nebraska and our focus was singular all season long: Omaha.

In the NCAA regional tournament, there is a welcome banquet with all four teams in each regional. Our table was next to that of Fresno State. They were the four seed and they figured their season was soon over. If played on a summer league team with some of their players the summer before so we were chatting at the end of the table and one of them looked up at me at one point and said, “We’ll be out of your way in no time.” He was alluding to our potential advancement in the tournament and their own quick elimination.

These were famous last words.

Flash forward to Sunday, we’re in the sudden death round of the NCAA Regional Final with Fresno State. We lost a boring, regular-ass baseball game to them. From there they caught fire and went on the be the first four seed in college baseball history to win the national championship.

The message is simple: stay vigilant. Someone is going to accomplish everything you’re dreaming of and it might as well be you. If you think you’ve got it in the bag, keep your head down because nothing is guaranteed. If you feel like you’re out of the fight, folks in lower standing than you have found a way to win.

Why not you?

5/3/23 WOD

DEUCE Athletics GPP

Complete 4 rounds of the following:
3 Weighted Box Jumps

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:
10 Hip Thrusters
15 Weighted Calf Raises
50-Yard KB Front Rack Carry

Then, EMOM 15
Min 1: 10 DB Goblet Squats (AHAP)
Min 2: 12 DB Push Press (AHAP)