The Audacity of Individuality

Egg on my face or an important point is being made. Those are the two possible outcomes of what I’m about to say. 

We’re in the age of individuality. 

The ripple effect of this dynamic is everywhere. The market for individual customization is growing in tech, education, fitness, and beyond. It’s a fine line, however. On one hand, we have the technology to optimize virtually everything and as a result we can benefit from products and services that aren’t blanket applications for a diverse consumer-based. On the other hand, this can quickly become entitlement and delusion very quickly. 

Most people I’ve heard make the claim that such-and-such “doesn’t work for me” haven’t tried hard enough to find out if that’s even true. Group training and personal training is an obvious example of this. Education is another. 

I think we can all agree that education as it stands is suboptimal. What I’m saying is I wish more people would make that complaint after getting straight A’s. The best way to know something is broken is to master it and find how it’s broken. 

Most folks with the courage and humility to attack opportunities with best effort intensity will reap more benefits than most every complainers’ desired outcome. When it comes to training, at least, the few folks with the right to say “this is not optimal for me” arrive at that fact by mastering the non-individualistic methods that got them to that point. 

Carry on.

1/25/23 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 Barbell Good Mornings
8 1-Arm DB Floor Press (ea)
:20 Suitcase Handle Hold (ea)

Then, complete the following for time:

1 Block Run
———————-
30-20-10
DB Reverse Lunges (50/25)