Better than Yesterday: A Return to the Point

The first shirt we ever made back in 2011 when our gym community was an rebellious gaggle of worker-outters in a local park had the following words written on the back:

Better than yesterday. 

It was a clear choice more than a decade ago simply because isn’t that what we’re here for? One hundred percent of folks that enter the gym on Day 1 are here to improve themselves (relative to themselves). Regardless of how general or specific one’s goals are, I’ve yet to hear someone come in saying, “So, I figured I should join the gym because I’ve got this neighbor. And, I’m hell bent on being stronger than him.”

If you find yourself losing the plot, comparing your abilities to others, or any other misguided perspective, come back to this simple goal: Can you be better than you were yesterday?

This is the essence of the personal record (PR). 

The PR is the crowning achievement in the gym because it’s proof that you are in fact “better than yesterday.” As I write this, we are in the process of testing our front squat and 500m row efforts and the day looks like it will end with roughly fifty new personal bests in one day alone!

This is what it’s all about. Don’t forget it.

12/20/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of:

6 Weighted Chin Up
10 Banded Body Saw
12 DB Floor Press

Then, with a partner, complete the following for time:

300 Double Unders
100 Push Ups
150 KB Swings
100 Air Squats
1 Block Run