Others Mistakes: The Best Learning Tool

Mistakes are part of life and more importantly, personal growth. We make them on a daily basis and we are told that we should learn from them. Obviously I agree but what if we could mitigate the mistakes we make ourselves by seeing them made by others first?

“Only a fool learns from his own mistake. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

Interesting words from our Prussian friend Otto Von Bismarck but I think there is some truth here. As I learned throughout my studying of psychology, the youngest siblings in many families are often the most “well adjusted”. By that I mean, they tend to be more empathetic and accepting of different viewpoints and in turn more rational in their behavior. (I apologize for the generalization but that’s pretty much what psychology is). Now I can speak some truth to the above statement because I was able to observe my two older sisters as we grew up together.

Watching my sisters grow up and make mistakes like everyone else, one thing became very apparent. If they were to do something and were in turn punished for it by my parents, I would come to the simple understanding that I probably just shouldn’t do that thing. It took awhile for me to come to this conclusion as I was generally a reckless kid and received more than my fair share of punishment but nonetheless, I eventually began to learn from my sister’s actions. God bless them.

Suffice to say, your learning curve is quickly shortened and your development is accelerated if you are able to observe exactly what to do and what not to do. You will learn these lessons whether you make the mistakes yourself or watch someone else make them but I am arguing for efficiency and effectiveness. If you want to become better at your job, pay attention to what others do and learn from their successes and failures. This will minimize your own personal mistakes and you will learn to become a more effective contributor much faster.

Shoutout to my beautiful sisters who undoubtedly led me to become the man I am today. You two led the way.

12/16/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

8 Dimmels
12 Bent Over DB Rows
12 Roller Pike Ups

Then, complete the following for time: 

50 Front Rack KB Lunges (44/26)
50 Front Rack KB Front Squats
50 Burpees

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

4-4-4