How You Do One Thing Isn’t How You Do Everything

There are maxims and aphorisms for just about everything. After all, “the early bird catches the worm,” right? And, don’t forget, “good things come to those who wait.” But, which is it?

Like any good question, the answer is “it depends.”

I mean technically they are both true-ish. Like most maxims, however, you’d offer the quip that “the early bird catches the worm” to someone who is hesitant and slow to action. Conversely, you’d only tell the person in your life that has no damn patience that “good things come to those who wait.” Mixing your audiences here would be disastrous to what are likely already poor results. 

A common question from podcast hosts is, “What’s something most people believe that you disagree with?”

My answer? The maxim that says “how you do one thing is how you do everything” is unequivocally not a thing. It’s a thing you say to people who you’d rather care about details they generally disregard. In reality, most people fail to demonstrate the same quality and proficiency in one part of their lives as in other parts of their lives. Masterful builders who cannot afford to have a single support beam or line of plumbing out of place by even a matter of degree, yet they cannot keep their bedroom clean. Hall of Fame athletes often cannot seem to embrace the same mundane excellence of their sport in the context of family relationships. You get the idea. 

This is yet another place where we must shrink our focus (and ultimately our responsibility) to this moment what specifically is right in front of us. How you do this thing will be exactly how you choose to do this thing. I hope you choose to give your best effort.

7/15/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

EMOM 10
2 Deadlifts

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of:

20 Banded Good Mornings
4 Glute Bridge Walkouts 

Then, complete the following for reps:

AMRAP 3
Pushups
AMRAP 3
Air Squats