GOAT’s Practice Hard

The Dream Team was probably the greatest basketball team ever assembled. In 1992, the US Olympic Basketball Team had an entire roster compiled of future Hall of Famers with the exception of Christian Laettner but everyone hated him anyways. Throughout the Olympics they won their games by an average of 44 points which is absolutely insane. I mean it was like they were playing against high school teams the way they just absolutely dismantled everyone on the court. Truly one of the best teams ever assembled in the history of the sport.

The team’s success is a story in and of itself but the real story for me is in how they practiced leading up to the Olympics. I’m sure most people assume they just showed up and shot around a little bit knowing they were by far the best team on paper. Au counterair, with 12 of the most competitive athletes in the world on 1 court you think they were just hanging out and having a good ol’ time? These dudes went after each other in practice. Screaming in each other’s faces, running the court like it was game 7 of The Finals and refusing to let the other team win. And when a coach suggested that they end practice because it was getting too physical and a little out of hand, they responded with a polite “Hell no” and kept going. They practiced like they had something to prove to the world and to each other and that intensity carried over into their games where they handled every opponent with ease.

Now, could they have won the Olympics just showing up to have a good time? Probably, they were the best players in the world hands down. But, they didn’t because to them there was no difference between a scrimmage against themselves and a game against another opponent. They practiced like they played, even when they didn’t have to. A true testament to what made them so successful as individuals throughout their careers.

So, my question for you is do you practice how you play? Is there focus and determination in the seemingly mundane practices in your life? I hope the answer is yes because I would love to see a community that approaches their life in this way. A community of people focused on becoming better, even when no one is watching. Those are the people I want on my team.

5/18/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

4 Wide Grip Weighted Pull-ups
1 50 Yard Fat grip DB Carry

EMOM 15

1 Squat Clean
2 Front Rack Reverse Lunges

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

3-3-3
Sumo Deadlift

Complete 3 rounds for quality of: