Reasons to Cut Corners: An Exhaustive List

The fact of the matter here is simply that cutting corners is both popular and specifically tolerable. In fact, things in life are mostly intact as is and the corners we cut are relatively small by comparison. 

That said here’s a list of great reasons to continue to do so:

• Cutting small corners on big things is a negligible compromise by volume
  • Cutting corners generally redeems most of the benefit as the alternative
  • Cutting corners saves time
  • Cutting corners is both a common and generally accepted practice
  • Cutting corners often means doing the “main” things which are important and not the smaller, less important elements
  • Cutting corners comes with almost no consequences in most circles

While I could go on, these core reasons make a compelling, essentialist argument for classic corner cutting behavior. It seems, almost by definition, that cutting corners saves time, energy, and hassle with the mundane details while still preserving what counts. This, of course, seems like a logical trade and, in fact, likely explains the popularity of this technique. 

If that wasn’t enough of a case, I’ll say this. By contrast, I was only able to find one reason not to cut corners. That, of course, is that when you refuse to cut corners you demonstrate to yourself and the world that your integrity is non-negotiable. An unwavering character is the only way to differentiate oneself from a sea of slippery slopes. 

Set the tone with your corners. Make ‘em sharp because there’s only one reason to do so and it trumps them all.

1/12/22 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 5 rounds for quality of:

8 DB Bench Press (4,0,1,0)
10 DB Zottman Curl
15 Banded Single Arm Extension

Then, in groups of 3, complete the following for time:

150 KB Swings (62/44)
150 Sit Ups
150 Goblet Squats

Partner A: Work
Partner B: Plank