Sweet Spot

If you’ve ever had a bowl of cereal, I hope that is all of us, you know that there is a sweet spot about 75 seconds after the milk is poured where the cereal reaches a perfect texture to eat. Wait too long and the cereal is mushy but dive in too quickly and you’re scratching the top of your mouth with what feels like razor blades. Suffice to say there is a perfect window when the cereal is at optimal eating texture. Stay with me.

As a former baseball player, I’m also familiar with a certain sweet spot in relation to the bat. Hit the ball too far towards the end and your hands are stinging from the vibration but hit it too close to the handle and the wooden bat is likely to break. You want to make contact about 3 inches north from the logo of the bat and when you do the ball reacts accordingly flying out into the field with maximum velocity. Thus, we have 450 ft. home runs.

Now I want you to think about the sweet spots that come up for you in daily life. Whether it is that perfect blend of milk and espresso that gets you going in the morning or maybe that favorite playlist that helps you soar through that 5 mile run in the afternoon. We are constantly searching and curating these moments in our day that make what we are doing feel effortless and easy. In Logan’s book ‘Going Right’ he calls this flow state or rather a peak level of consciousness where we feel our best and perform at our highest level.

Author and peak performance expert Steven Kotler suggests that the best way to find our flow or, how I like to call it, sweet spot is through mindfulness. Mindfulness is simply when we can turn our attention to the present moment and OWN the task at hand. Oftentimes we are distracted by social media or various thoughts in our head but I want to encourage every one of you to intentionally seek out your sweet spots and what makes you perform as your best self. You owe it to yourself and you owe it to everyone around you.

Carry on and eat more cereal.

10/5/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for quality of:

3 Push Press
8 Body Saw

Then, complete 2 drop sets of the following:
3 Different Weights Arnold Press

Then, complete the following for time:

1 6th Street Run
20 Sandbag Squats(150/100)
1 7th Street Corner Fat Grips Carry(AHAP)
100 Double Unders

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

Make 4 attempts at the following cluster:

2 Back Squats
-Rest :20-
2 Back Squats 
-Rest :20-
1 Back Squat
-Rest as Needed-

Complete the following for time of:

150 Double Unders
—————