I Think You Should Go For It

In contemplating a decision that might alter your life in a profound way, you might ask yourself or have asked yourself something along the lines of, At what point do I …. [insert life addition/subtraction/behavioral change]?  

LA native, legend, and author Ray Bradbury once wrote, “We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.”

Sounds eloquent, but how does one learn “the trick”? Look, I don’t know. But I wrote about this conundrum a few years back, and think it might have something useful to offer today. In fact, on July 18, 2018, I wrote:

“At what point do you stop asking, “At what point … ___ ?”

Maybe the point about the point is that you are drawn to it – and enough to even ask that question.

Maybe that’s the only cue you need. You know, to DO it, not just think about it.”

I share all this as I write to you late at night from a hotel in southern Idaho. What the hell am I doing here? Well, I won’t quite give all the details yet, but I will say this: I’m on a mission here to meet a very special creature. Why? Well, I can’t quite explain that either. But it’s a real life application of my own proposed line of reasoning from above. 

More importantly, I know that I’m not alone in occasionally doing things or ending up in places that, from a rational standpoint – make no sense at all, but from an intuitive perspective – make all the sense. Or even, vice versa.

All I know is that I’ve got a hell of a story to tell you, and I’ve already learned far more from this experience than I ever did through contemplation. Not to mention, I’ve grown to become a person that is far more interested in your life experience stories than contemplation. 

As with most of the blog posts I share here, this is not to suggest a this or that dichotomy. Rather, encouragement to continue chipping away at the limiting beliefs that might exist in your life regarding what you do and why you do it, particularly when self-directed.

So to you reading this – that thing you’ve been thinking about? I think you should go for it. After all, part of developing fitness is preparing for the known and unknown…

9/26/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Build to a heavy 1 RM of the Strict Press…

Then, complete 2 rounds for quality of:

12 Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
12 Banded Lateral Shoulder Raise

Then, AMRAP 8

1-2-3…
Double Dumbbell Squat (45/30)
Double Dumbbell Reverse Lunge (ea)
Box Jump
*Begin with a 7th Street Corner Dumbbell Farmer Carry

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

Complete 3 rounds for quality of:

2 Deadlift