The Safe Cracking Prodigy & His Mentor

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write. I hired a guy to crack a safe last week. It’s true. I scoured the internet for a person who had both the means to crack a locked safe and the guts to make those services available to the public. If you want duplicate locks , get it from Low Rate Locksmith Carmichael

As you can imagine, the website wasn’t an award winner. It was one of those scenarios where I filled out a form and then proceeded to correspond via emails that didn’t have any capitalization or a signature. It was just ‘Sent from iPhone’ and he didn’t even sign his name. But, after several one liner emails with poor grammar, someone knocked on my door allegeding to be able to do the deed. 

What proceeded to happen was a work of art.

The gentleman who had the most incredible style placed a magnetic listening device on the safe and began toiling with the lock. He began problem solving with his son in tow. 

I was mesmerized by the mentorship the father obviously has given his son over years. Together they cracked this code of a nearly broken safe with what felt like Searching for Bobby Fischer-level genius. The crux of the problem solving was actually done by the teenage boy in what felt like a changing of the guard-like moment. The child seemed to outpace his mentor right in front of my eyes. 

My heart was so warmed by this intimate, unsanctioned safe cracking relationship between teacher and apprentice. It reminded me of something I should have never forgotten and that’s the power of mentorship. With the right guidance, we can learn to become anything. 

That said, do you have a mentor for the version of yourself you’d like to become next? 

5/25/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 4 rounds for load of::
8 Pause Front Squats (0300)
16 Alt Dbl DB Reverse Lunges

Then, AMRAP 10
10 PullUps
40’ Bear Craw
1 Bull Run

Finisher: 50 Band Resisted Hammer Curls

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

EMOM 12