Superfluous Tradition Routed by Generation Scrap

Maybe it’s too much of a generalization to reference the famous quote from Sheikh Rashid which reads, “My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel.” 

Or, maybe it’s perfectly representative of a historical cycle of human behavior from excess to essentialism and back. 

The season of American economics that spanned the 1980s and much of the 1990s was one of prosperity. Many Americans were living lives that bought low and we’re riding high. With such comforts came behavior that naturally included superfluous spending, a lack of savings, and leaky margins of performance.

Many industries were affected by the downturn of our current season of the American economy, which began with the Dot Com Bubble in 2001,extended to the great recession of 2008, and continues with the COVID saga of the moment. The media marketing world may have been one of the hardest hit. Radio lost 25% of all ad revenue in permanent fashion after 2008, for example. More than 60% of ad revenues dissipated from print media in the same time. 

You can imagine the constriction that occurs in a world of ad agencies known for premium retainers, crazy overhead, and a lack of accountability to results. Entire multimillion dollar “successful” companies became redundant. And, it’s my view that the marketing sector is a microcosm for all business behavior that can no longer afford to leak performance and absorb superfluous people, spending, and overhead. 

The winners in this season of the American economy will likely be a red-tape-less, scrappy group of executioners. Lose teams of thirty will be overtaken by tight teams of six. Passengers will be killed off by players. The ping pong tables will be moved out of the office and the office will become a bunker. 

If you’re in a superfluous situation, it’s not all doom and gloom. Scrappy tendencies can be taught, but you’re going to need to toughen up quickly. The world is moving fast and it’s running out of funds for people taking up space.

3/18/21 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

Complete 3 rounds of the following for quality: 

Barbell Complex:
2 Push Press +
5 Front Squat + 
2 Split Jerk 

:45 Side Plank (ea

Then, complete the following for time:
10, 9, 8.. 1
Deadlifts (95/65)
Push Ups + Burpees

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

10-10-10-Max
Nordic Curl

10-10-10-Max
Bulgarian Split Squat 

Complete 6 rounds for time of:
100m Lateral Shuffle – Left
100m Run
100m Lateral Shuffle – Right
100m Run
-Rest :60-

Then, complete 3 rounds for time of:

Max Feet Elevated Hamstring Plank

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

5-5-5-5-5
Supine Bent Row Against Monster Mini Bands

Then, complete 4 rounds for quality:
6 Weighted Chin Ups
10 Bottom Up Half Kneeling KB Presses (ea)
15 Straight Arm Banded Lat Pull Down (w/ a Pause)

Then, AMRAP 5
50 Hand-to-Hand KB Swings (53/35)
Max KB Snatches