Push, Pull, Pause

A few months back, someone at Coach’s Prep was asked to run with the same amount of tension in their body as they’d have if they were going for a 1RM deadlift. I’ll hold while you take a second to imagine that…

Lol.

While yes(!), recruiting maximal tension in the body for a max effort lift is beneficial, no, it’s not equally beneficial in all other applications – running being just one of them.  

Similarly, consider shooting a basketball from different ranges. Imagine applying the same force you’d use for a 3-pointer, into a layup… Um, brick!

Each of these examples speaks to what happens when someone gets into an ice bath and tries to muscle their way through it.

Though no one, including myself, would dismiss a lack of effort to anyone employing all-out expenditure as a strategy, you can understand how this is yet another example of miscalculated, inappropriately applied force. More importantly, it speaks to a larger theme of broadening one’s toolkit for problem-solving. Specifically – are you aware and capable of the less forceful tools necessary (and readily available at your discretion) to more efficiently troubleshoot the scenarios that can’t be solved via all-out exertion?

Like my role model Gabby Reece says, You wouldn’t wash windows with a hammer

So go on… push, pull, squat, hinge. Get stronger. Get faster. 

Also, be mindful that you can problem-solve by pausing and by softening, too.

10/5/20 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

5-5-5
Strict Press

15-15-15
Decline Ring Rows

Then, complete 3 rounds for reps of:
In 7 min..