Rain Delays and Mentally Checking Out

Baseball is a bit of a particular sport. We don’t play in the rain. Hence a “rain delay”. I guess if the conditions get too wet the game would devolve away from the much needed finer details. In any case, you learn quickly as a player that no matter how hard it rains, you must always commit mentally to the rain clearing up and the game continuing. If not, you lose an important psychological intimacy with the game. You forfeit your focus. You mentally check out. And, it can be costly. 

This sounds simple enough, but maybe you haven’t seen some of the rain I’ve seen. Hell, there was a July 4th downpour in High Point, North Carolina during a Coastal Plains League game one time that felt physically unsafe. “Impossible that we’d play baseball today,” I thought. Wrong! Ninety minutes later we were trying to get out of a bases loaded jam. 

While it seems obvious that staying “checked in” is important, the reason isn’t so clear. You see, assuming you’ll play during a rain delay only to find out the game has been postponed is easy. Once the game is postponed, you just relax your focus. This isn’t a two-way street, however. You can’t assume you’re not going to play and find that the rain delay is lifted and recommit your mind to focus nearly as easily. 

Mentally checking out can be costly, especially if you haven’t seen your task through to completion. Switching on is much harder than switching off. Stay vigilant.

9/21/20 WOD

DEUCE ATHLETICS GPP

[Meet at Anderson Park]

DEUCE BACKLOT GPP

[Meet at Pan Pacific Park]

DEUCE GARAGE GPP

3-3-3
Weighted Pull Up

Then, complete 3 rounds for quality of
8 DB Box Step Ups – Left
8 DB Box Step Ups – Right
:60 Weighted Plank