Bring the Ruckus

I was fortunate enough to take part in a leadership event this past weekend put on by lululemon. The objective of the event was to unify lululemon’s health and fitness leaders and discuss growing our impact in the community.

Much of the topic of discussion centered around a text by blogger/author, Seth Godin, called Tribes. I read this book a while back and it’s reinforced so many key ideas beyond leadership into creating movements. 

During this weekend’s symposium a few of us went to the microphone to discuss some insights from the book. A woman’s take on the text really stuck with me and reminded me of a point in the text that I didn’t remember well. “Leaders of a movement cause a ruckus,” she said.

I loved it.

I think my favorite parts of this community is the passion that borders anger in our coaches. The fitness industry is broken and I don’t want to stand within ten feet of you if you’re about some basic existence. We’re here to cause a damn ruckus, because that’s what the community needs. So, put on your chucks and pull the brim of your hat down, because this is happening!

Naturally, the first song we listened to yesterday morning in class was Wu-Tang Clan’s “Bring Da Ruckus.” You’ll have to excuse the raw nature of the track. It isn’t polite, and it doesn’t claim to be. Then again, does anyone that makes an impact tip toe through life asking permission to shake things up?

Oh, hell no.

If there’s anything to let rub off on you around here, it might be the fist-in-the-air, rebel empowerment that pumps through DEUCE Gym’s veins every day. The world is already chalk full of average folks doing a whole lot of nothing.

Bring the ruckus!

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

9/23/14 WOD

Complete 6 rounds, every 2 minutes of:
:30 Front Rack Hold
6 Lunges (AHAP)

Find 10 RM Strict Press