Suffering is Good, Right?

Us humans have an interesting relationship with suffering. On one hand we’re quite resistant to things that are difficult, like say a gym routine or eating healthy. On the other hand, however, when we decide it’s time to get fit or clean up our eating, we evaluate the quality of these experiences based on how terrible they are. In fact, the more miserable they are the better they probably are for us, right?

“If the workout doesn’t ruin me, it wasn’t a good one,” is the thought. Or, when it comes to food the key, in our minds, is something drastic. “I’m only eating hand squeezed kale juice for two weeks – YAY!”

The problem is that simple doesn’t sell. The idea that squatting heavy, doing some intervals, and eating real food is too simple, albeit too boring to be the real deal, right? No one’s buying that. It must be more complicated than that.

Do you need to be flat on your back to feel like your training was worth your time? If so, you might be more attached to the feeling of being brutalized more than the fitness improvements that got your training in the first place. I’m sure you can imagine what terrible results a fitness program based around suffering would have and, furthermore, I’m confident that you don’t really believe that eating optimally and eating bland, boring food are the same thing.

So, why behave that way?

Let the most amazing fitness and health be simple. Let this be the easiest thing you’ve ever done. I dare you.

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

4/9/15 WOD

Complete the following for time:
10 Power Snatches (135/95)
15 Overhead Squats
20 Push Presses
25 Pullups
30 Burpees
800m Run