The Dangers of Being a ‘True Believer’

We naturally like to associate. It’s comforting and safe. The love and support of feeling like you belong, in fact, is one of life’s most important feelings. Attachment to a group, however, can be dangerous.

There’s a fine line there. Think about the difference between when one identifies with a group idea more so than they identify with themselves. If you’re more “punk rock” than you are you, you’re in trouble. If you’re more CrossFit than you are you, you’re in trouble. The same is true of religions, political parties, career choices, and other common identifiers.

We’ve got one hell of a community here. Furthermore, I think your association with it is important and powerful, too. The last thing I’d want for you to do, however, is passively associate and dismiss responsibility for you and who you are.

Don’t get me wrong, being a “true believer” is easier than having to answer to your own reality, so I can understand when folks choose the former. But, believe it or not, it’s possible to be Paleo, Christian, a One Direction fan, and train CrossFit, without blinding following either. You’re a pretty remarkable individual. You’re also deserving of quality associations with countless groups. Just don’t forget who’s captain of your ship!

#PirateLife

Logan Gelbrich

@functionalcoach

9/18/14 WOD

AMRAP 12
4, 8, 12, 16… Push Press (115/75)
4, 8, 12, 16… Pullups
200m Run