Get Your Mind Right!

In college, I was fortunate enough to play for one of the few NCAA Division I programs that had it’s own team sports psychologist. It was progressive and it made a lasting impact. This component was so important to me that years later I asked our psychologist, Karleen Sugarman, to join ORIGINAL Nutritionals’ ‘Team ORIGINAL.’

Maybe it was because she made us write it down, but nothing hit me quite as hard as one particular session with Karleen. During a team exercise, Karleen asked us all to write down a statement word for word. She made it clear that this wasn’t a time for Cliff’s Notes or short hand. We wrote as she dictated the following:

“The only thing between me and my goals is my own mind.”

Woah.. really?

Every question I asked to counter that statement turned up false. Whether is was about the scouts, my playing time, how prepared I was, etc it always came back to personal responsibility. My mind truly was the captain of my future. And, in a way, it was quite refreshing and exciting. I thought, “If I can manage what’s between my ears, the sky is the limit.”

The men sticking together.

The men sticking together.

As for you all, don’t ever forget that us human beings are incredible story tellers. It’s how our minds work. Keep a look out for all the stories you’re telling yourself. You might be creating a story right now that makes it perfectly OK for you to miss out on your goals.

Get your mind right. Show up.

Logan Gelbrich

———————

Monday’s Workout:
AMRAP 10
2,4,6,8…
Sumo Deadlift (155/95)
Front Squat
—–
Then…

Run 1 Mile (Sand)

2 Comments

• With every thing which appears to be developing throughout this specific area, all your points of view tend to be somewhat radical. On the other hand, I appologize, but I can not give credence to your entire strategy, all be it exhilarating none the less. It looks to everyone that your commentary are not totally justified and in simple fact you are your self not fully certain of the assertion. In any event I did take pleasure in looking at it.

• dailysports says:

I do enjoy the way you have presented this concern and it does offer me some fodder for thought. However, because of what precisely I have observed, I only hope as the responses pack on that people stay on issue and in no way get started upon a soap box associated with the news du jour. All the same, thank you for this outstanding point and although I do not really concur with this in totality, I respect your standpoint.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *